Car Accidents FAQs

Brandon – Tampa Bay – Car Accident Lawyer

Q: What should I do at the scene if I am involved in a car crash?

A. At the scene of the car accident, if you feel pain immediately following the accident, remain in the vehicle until Emergency Medical personnel arrive.

If you are physically able to despite and injury you may have suffered, either call the police or exchange information with all other drivers such as name, license number, tag number, insurance company name, policy number. Take photographs of the scene and the damage to the vehicles at the scene if at all possible.

Q. What if I don’t feel like I’m injured at the scene of the auto accident?

A. Following an accident, it is always recommended that you at least get checked out as a precaution, and certainly seek medical attention immediately upon feeling any pain, discomfort or stiffness. It is not uncommon for symptoms of injuries from car crashes to appear hours, days, and sometimes weeks after the accident. Before you seek treatment, you should know your rights regarding payment of medical bills through PIP insurance.

Q. What information do I need to obtain and keep regarding the car accident and my personal injury?

A. You should also obtain any police accident report. Keep a list of all witnesses with addresses and telephone numbers. Document everything, including all medical expenses, mileage to and from doctors, lost time from work or school, witness statements, any correspondence from anyone related to the accident. Keep a diary regarding your injuries, pain, and feelings concerning the impact on your life. Obtain separate independent estimates for any property damage you have to your vehicle. Keep copies of everything.

Q. Do I have to tell my insurance company about the car accident?

A. Yes, you must contact your insurance company as soon as possible following the accident.

Q. What should I tell the insurance company when I report the accident?

A. Stick to simply the known facts of the accident, such as time of day, location, etc. Do not admit liability or fault for the accident to anyone! Do not give a sworn or recorded statement without the assistance of an experienced accident or personal injury lawyer.

Q. What if the insurance company offers me money after the accident for my injuries?

A. Do not accept money, any settlement or sign any release for your personal injury claim until you have consulted with an attorney. Insurance companies often attempt to offer small amounts quickly to avoid paying the true value of a claim. You need to have a full understanding of what your current and future medical expenses and lost wages will be before your claim can be adequately evaluated. A consultation with a car accident attorney at The Lawler Firm is free, so there is no reason not to have your case reviewed.

Q. What if the police officer ticketed me for the accident?

A. Getting a ticket or citation for the accident, and the police officer’s opinion of who caused the accident are not conclusive for purposes of your injury claim. In fact, the citation itself cannot be used as evidence in the personal injury trial. Florida also uses comparative fault, where the judge or jury assigns a percentage of fault to those involved. So you could be at fault to some degree and still recover for your injuries.

Q. What types of things can I be compensated for as a result of suffering personal injuries in a car accident?

A. There are many things that are potentially recoverable in a personal injury claim including past and future medical bills, past and future wage loss, out of pocket expenses, property damages, and past and future pain and suffering.

If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, you need an experienced lawyer who will protect your interests. Call now (813) 431-4470.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Contact Form